Checked out Metolius’ adaptation of their PAS 22 Personal Anchor System: the PAS Running Anchor System.
Here’s what the Metolius website says about their original PAS system:
- Completely redesigned PAS with 11 mm (0.43″) webbing that now passes the CE/UIAA Sling Standard
- More versatile – can be used for equalizing anchors
- Same weight despite higher strength
- Safer than daisy chains (Daisy chains are designed for body weight applications only)
- Safer, more convenient and more adjustable than using slings or quickdraws at the anchor
- Stows compactly
You know this PAS unit Metolius has offered for some time? We’ve used other units as strong but we really like the fool-proof look of the individual sewn-loops and they do rack unobtrusively.
Now Metolius has made a new PAS-like unit with smaller loops and both ends finished for ‘biners: designed for equalizing two gear placements or top-tope anchors. Clip each end (of the new PAS Running Anchor System: again, we’re making this up because our copy’s running ahead of Metolius’ naming the design) into a placement, and then select whichever loop between (the placements) matches your directional loading. Simple, fast, bombproof. And you’ve still got your PAS “daisy” chain attached to your harness, and all those “extra” loops. Maybe it’s just us but “extra” loops has always been an oxymoron for us in practice.